Friday, November 10, 2006

"I CAN'T. I HAVE REHEARSAL."

Educational and community theatre can be the most demanding work to be had. Last weekend the musical I directed opened at a local University, and tonight the show in which I'm appearing is opening. This Monday I will be conducting auditions for the next show I'm directing. My best friend and roommate is directing and costuming, so this month I found myself directing a show, helping out a friend by being in a show, shopping for costumes and props, and staying in the costume shop until 6:30 in the morning to make sure the actors have everything they need for opening night. People say, "Slow down! Life is about people, not work." And secretly, they call me a work-aholic.

They just don't get it. I can't imagine a better way to spend my life. You might think that's crazy, but since theatre is about community and creation, giving yourself to it seems as natural to me as loving a child in my womb. The work is a part of me - as close to me as the blood in my veins. I do it because I love the artistic process. I love the people by my side (my students, fellow actors and artists). I care about the community who sees our work. It's my home. They are my family. And opening night is Christmas morning.

So, am I a work-aholic, or am I just in love?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:58 PM

    Rachel, I lost your cell phone number. Please call me or email your number to laurasuebux@yahoo.com . I haven't talked to you in ages.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete